It is very curious that we can find a great variety of dog breeds throughout the world, and each one is different due to certain particular characteristics. It is true that some breeds are similar, but they are never exactly the same.
Each species differs from another depending on its physical traits, personality, temperament, level of physical activity, etc.
It should be noted that not all dog breeds are common as pets. It is normal to see small or medium-sized dogs in most homes instead of large ones, for example. That can have several reasons:
- The large size of a dog is not easy to handle, especially by inexperienced owners.
- Dogs of this size often pose a danger to small children.
- At times, these dogs may exhibit aggressive behaviour and be dangerous.
Within this great variety of large dog breeds, we have the Tibetan Mastiff. This dog is characterized by having a body of great weight and size.
Every part of its body is robust and strong, and its jaw is very powerful. The fur of this canine distinguishes it from the others as it has a beautiful mane similar to that of a lion.
On the other hand, the Tibetan Mastiff is considered a guard dog not only due to its physical characteristics but also due to its temperament. Although these canines can be very friendly and affectionate with their family members, they can also be very fierce and aggressive. That depends on where you live and its education and training.
They have been banned in different parts of the world due to the dangerousness that some dogs of this species show. France, Malaysia, the Bermuda Islands, Australia, and the Maldives are some of the places where keeping a Tibetan Mastiff is prohibited.
Are Tibetan Mastiffs Banned in the US?
Yes! However, it is essential to note that they are only restricted in some parts of the US. In some cities in the United States, this dog has been banned not only because of its large size but also because of the aggressiveness it can show.
Some places where this dog is banned are:
It is important to note that not only Tibetan Mastiffs have been banned in these places but also other types such as:
- American Mastiff
- Brazilian Mastiff
- English Mastiff
- Neapolitan Mastiff
- Old English Mastiff
- Pyrenean Mastiff
- Spanish Mastiff
Why is the Tibetan Mastiff Illegal in the US?
Despite being excellent companions for their human family members, there are certain places where these dogs are illegal. We have already mentioned some in the previous point. However, we have to know the reasons why a Tibetan Mastiff is prohibited in those cities:
- Tibetan Mastiffs are very large, weighing between 74 lbs and 150 lbs and measuring between 61 cm and 76 cm. Canines of this size are very difficult to handle, even for experienced dog owners.
- There are certain dogs that are illegal to keep in foreign countries. In this case, the Tibetan Mastiff is originally from Asia, so it is normal that other countries do not accept it. The US is one of them. However, as we have said, only three cities have banned this canine.
- The temperament of a Tibetan Mastiff is one of the strongest reasons why this dog is illegal in some US cities. These canines have a strong hunting instinct that makes them aggressive in certain situations, which is very dangerous for the people around them, especially children.
There are several countries where owning a Tibetan Mastiff is considered illegal. The size and temperament of this dog are the main reasons. In the US, it is possible to have a Tibetan Mastiff without any problem as long as it is properly trained.
However, it is vital that before acquiring one, check that your city does not have any restrictions on this dog. Specifically, Wisconsin, Wapato, and Abbotsford are the 3 US cities where this dog is illegal.