Knowing what type of medicine to give your pet when it has a health problem is one of the main concerns of a dog owner. Obviously, it is irresponsible to give a dog medicine without first consulting the veterinarian.
Certain medications are not suitable for all breeds of dogs as they have components that can be harmful to some of them. One of the most common medications is Benadryl. This medicine is mainly used to relieve stress and anxiety in dogs, but it can have the opposite effect in some animals of this type. If you own a French Bulldog, it is normal to want to know if you can give this medication to your pet.
Is it Safe to Give Benadryl to My French Bulldog?
It is an over-the-counter medication whose active substance is diphenhydramine, which is used to combat your dog’s anxiety and stress as well as allergies.
There is no problem giving your French Bulldog Benadryl. Many people think that this medicine can be negative for this breed. Still, veterinarians highly recommend it to treat ailments such as motion sickness, allergies to insect bites, etc.
In fact, Benadryl is widely used in French Bulldogs who normally suffer from anxiety. In these cases, this medicine can help the canine fall asleep, especially in high-stress situations.
When Should We Give Benadryl to Our French Bulldog?
We have already mentioned the reasons why veterinarians use this medication in French Bulldogs. However, we will delve a little deeper below.
On many occasions, Benadryl is used to calm an anxious or stressed French Bulldog in a certain circumstance. Many times these dogs experience certain things that make them feel fear and anxiety, which greatly affects their emotional state. Some of these situations can be:
- Being home alone
- Electric storms
- Loud noises
- Long trips
If you want to use Benadryl to calm your French Bulldog’s anxiety, you must be sure that your dog is presenting the following symptoms:
- Compulsive Licking
- Refusing to participate in activities or training
On the other hand, this medication is also used to treat allergies in French Bulldogs. Benadryl provides comfort when the canine has an allergic reaction.
Some symptoms that you can take into account when giving Benadryl to your French Bulldog are:
- Red, dry or itchy eyes
- Stuffy nose
- Watery eyes
On certain occasions, veterinarians also use Benadryl to treat motion sickness. People often use Dramamine for these cases, but diphenhydramine, a component of Benadryl, also has that function. However, it is always advisable to ask the veterinarian which of the two to use.
Motion sickness most commonly affects French Bulldogs when travelling in a vehicle. Some symptoms you may notice are:
- Compulsive Licking
- Repetitive swallowing
How Many Doses of Benadryl are Recommended for My French Bulldog?
The doses will depend on the weight of your French Bulldog. Veterinarians generally recommend the dose for these dogs to be 1 mg per pound of body weight, which should be given 2-3 times a day.
It should be noted that the AKC (American Kennel Club) recommends against giving Benadryl to a French Bulldog weighing more than 28 lbs. Next, you will know the doses of Benadryl necessary according to the age and weight of your French Bulldog:
- A 4-week old French Bulldog should receive a 3 mg dose of Benadryl while weighing between 2 lbs and 4.2 lbs.
- An 8-week old French Bulldog should receive a 5 mg dose of Benadryl while weighing between 5 lbs and 6.9 lbs.
- A 12-week old French Bulldog should receive an 8 mg dose of Benadryl while weighing between 6.9 lbs and 9 lbs.
- A 16-week old French Bulldog should receive a 10 mg dose of Benadryl while weighing between 9 lbs and 12 lbs.
- An 18-week old French Bulldog should receive a 13 mg dose of Benadryl while weighing between 12 lbs and 15 lbs.
- A 22-week old French Bulldog should receive a 15 mg dose of Benadryl while weighing between 15 lbs and 16 lbs.
- A 26-week old French Bulldog should receive a 17 mg dose of Benadryl while weighing between 16 lbs and 18 lbs.
- An adult French Bulldog should receive a 25 mg dose of Benadryl while weighing between 23 lbs and 28 lbs.
Does Benadryl Cause Side Effects in French Bulldogs?
Theoretically, this drug is safe for French Bulldogs. However, if you want to give your dog Benadryl, it is recommended that you take it to the vet so that he can tell you if it is safe or not. Keep in mind that if your French Bulldog is already taking other medication, Benadryl could affect it.
Some side effects that may arise are:
- Dry mouth
- Changes in appetite