Many dogs tend to eat whatever you put in front of them. One of them is the French Bulldog. These canines are known for their great desire to eat a lot, which is one reason why they are often overweight.
As much as we like to feed our canine to see it happy, it is important that we control its diet so that it is always healthy. In the same way, we must know the foods that can benefit it as well as those that can negatively affect its health.
French Bulldogs love treats, and we, as their owners, should try to find the healthiest foods that we can use as treats when exercising and training them.
Fruits are great foods for French Bulldogs. Bananas are very common in most homes, and for that reason, many people wonder if this breed can eat them.
Are Bananas Good for French Bulldogs?
Bananas are very tasty and safe for French Bulldogs. This fruit is excellent for this canine as it helps replenish its electrolytes and stimulate its immune system. In addition, they are perfect for your pet’s digestive system thanks to their large amount of vitamins and minerals.
Just because bananas are good for your French Bulldog doesn’t mean you should always give them to them. Giving your French Bulldog lots of bananas on a daily basis can be harmful, so you should refrain from doing so and only use them as a supplement to their diet.
Benefits of Bananas for French Bulldogs
Bananas provide several benefits to the body of such a canine. This fruit is rich in:
- Potassium: The high potassium content in this fruit is vital for the function of muscles and blood vessels as well as for the movement of your French Bulldog’s muscles. They are also beneficial in ensuring a good balance of body fluids.
- Vitamin C: Vitamin C is essential for canines as it helps prevent health problems and some joint problems. In addition, it helps a lot to strengthen the energy levels of dogs as well as enhance the healing of their wounds.
- Vitamin B6: It is known as pyridoxine and constitutes the vitamin B complex. One of its most important benefits is that it helps create antibodies that fight infections. Vitamin B6 is also helpful in controlling the canine’s blood sugar levels as well as producing red blood cells.
- Magnesium: This element provided by bananas is responsible for absorbing vitamin C, vitamin E and potassium. It helps the growth of your French Bulldog’s bones.
- Fibre: Fibre helps treat canine digestive problems.
Can My French Bulldog Have Problems Eating Bananas?
Most foods, including fruits, can cause a problem in our French Bulldog depending on certain factors. Some problems are:
French Bulldog Obesity
We mentioned at the beginning that French Bulldogs are prone to gaining weight easily due to their strong desire to eat anything they find.
In this case, bananas contain many more calories than other fruits, so it is important that you do not exaggerate the number of bananas you give your dog. Always use them as treats in specific situations like training.
French Bulldog Constipation
If you give your French Bulldog too many bananas on a daily basis, it could become constipated. This is because many people give their pets large chunks of bananas, which can create a blockage. In addition to that, this fruit is difficult to digest due to its high fibre content.
French Bulldog Allergic Reactions
Your French Bulldog could be allergic to bananas, so you should be very aware of this situation. If you are going to feed your pet with this fruit for the first time, make sure to give it a small portion and wait a while to see what happens.
If you don’t notice any allergy symptoms like difficulty breathing, sneezing, coughing, swelling, or hives, then your French Bulldog will have no problem eating bananas.
French Bulldog Health Problems
Bananas are generally healthy for French Bulldogs and don’t usually cause problems as long as you don’t overfeed your pet.
If your French Bulldog eats a lot of bananas, it could be exposed to gastrointestinal problems or even diabetes. That’s because this fruit is high in sugar. For this reason, veterinarians recommend only using bananas as treats.
How to Give Bananas to Our French Bulldog?
The first thing you should do is talk to your vet for advice on the portions of bananas you should give your French Bulldog based on its weight and age. After that, it is vital that you know the different ways to feed your dog with this fruit:
- You can crush them and add them to your French Bulldog’s favourite food.
- Cut bananas into pieces and freeze them. It will be a great treat on a hot day.
- You can mix this fruit with yoghurt.