Most dogs are highly dependent creatures of humans. These animals are designed to spend a lot of time with their owners. In fact, many of them develop separation anxiety when they are left alone for many hours in the house.
Although it is a beautiful thing that our dogs always want to spend time with us and give us love, it can be annoying that this happens so often since we also need our space.
A wide variety of dog breeds are characterized by requiring their owners either to feed them, exercise them, play with them or simply spend time with them.
Suppose you are not someone who has the patience to have your dog demanding your attention 24 hours a day. In that case, it is important that you know the breeds of canines that we will mention in this article to avoid acquiring them since they will surely not be the best option for you.
The Neediest Breed of Dog
There are plenty of dog breeds that need constant attention from their owners. Without a doubt, the Vizsla ranks first. It is no coincidence that this animal is known as the “Velcro Dog.”
The Vizsla is one of the few dog breeds characterized by standing out both in its level of physical activity and beautiful personality. This canine was bred from its origin to be an excellent hunting dog. The Vizsla loves to spend time outdoors doing any type of activity that provides physical and mental stimulation.
This dog from Hungary is not only extremely happy when it is doing a lot of exercise but also when it spends a large part of the day with its owner. The Vizsla enjoys its active lifestyle as long as its loved ones join it for play or other physical activity.
This breed of dog cannot spend much time away from its owners. They are prone to developing separation anxiety, leading them to behave erratically, showing a series of destructive behaviors.
Remember that the energy levels of these canines are practically unlimited, so these behaviors that we will mention could be more intense than those shown by other breeds of dogs:
- Excessive barking
- Digging in the garden
- Running for no reason
- Trying to escape
- Scratching the floor, walls, or door
- Chewing the furniture
Vizslas display the behaviors listed above as a way to release pent-up energy in their bodies and also to calm the worry they feel when their owners are not with them. These dogs are very sensitive and could think that they have been abandoned when they stay at home for several hours.
For that reason, a Vizsla will always need you to pay attention to it, provide it with a daily exercise and feeding schedule, groom it regularly, etc. This dog breed may also need to interact with other people and animals.
Could All Needy Dog Breeds Develop Destructive Behaviors?
Yes! However, the destructive and inappropriate behaviors of a Vizsla will be totally different and less controllable than those of a Pug, for example. Remember that a dog’s level of physical activity plays an important role in how they release their energy when they are stressed, worried, or anxious.
A dog that is not as energetic or active will not be able to cause disasters like a canine that has an athletic and energetic body.
Top 10 Most Needy Dog Breeds
Vizslas aren’t the only dogs that need constant attention from their loved ones. Many other breeds should also be loved and feel important to their owners. In this article, we will only mention the 10 most needy dog breeds but keep in mind that there are many more.
- Labrador Retriever: The Labrador Retriever is the most popular dog breed in the United States. This canine is extremely attached to its owner and will need its attention at all times. A dog of this breed will be waiting anxiously for its owner to come home or even wait outside the bathroom until he comes out of there. It is prone to separation anxiety when left home alone for several hours.
- French Bulldog: Despite being a stubborn dog, it will not hesitate to be by your side at all times. This breed of canine needs the constant affection and attention of its loved ones since otherwise, it could feel sad. The French Bulldog needs many hours of games together with its owners.
- Border Collie: This breed of dog is designed to perform different types of work and activities alongside their owners. Over the years, this has strengthened the bond between this animal and people, and it is for this reason that today, the Border Collie cannot be away from its loved ones for many hours.
- Maltese: This little dog is very sensitive and needs the company of its owners at every hour of the day. The Maltese is a lap dog that needs the attention and love of its people when it demands it.
- German Shepherd: A German Shepherd is a working dog that is generally used to protect something or someone. The reason for that is that it loves humans and will try to protect them every minute of the day. This dog not only needs the love and company of its owner but also enough physical and mental stimulation during the day.
- Golden Retriever: This beautiful golden-haired dog is always eager to please its loved ones. However, it will want to receive a lot of affection from them in return for that.
- Pug: Pugs are dogs known for their flat faces and short muzzles. These animals need a proper lifestyle in which they receive a good diet and a controlled exercise routine; otherwise, they could develop various health problems. They are also super sticky dogs.
- Shetland Sheepdog: This breed of dog needs attention 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. It will want to interact most of the day with its favorite person and receive all the love from him. This canine loves to be rewarded for good behavior.
- Italian Greyhound: Lastly, we have the lovable Italian Greyhound. Its stubbornness is no reason not to provide everything it needs. These dogs are not good for families with other pets as they require their owners’ full attention. Also, it is important to take care of them in extremely cold climates due to their short fur.