The biggest problem dog owners tend to face is barking. Dealing with an excessively barking canine can become very frustrating and annoying.
Barking is a normal behavior of all dog breeds as it is part of their anatomy. However, it is important to note that certain factors could cause these animals to bark for no reason.
A barking dog is a big problem for people who live in apartments or are surrounded by neighbors. For that reason, many people want to get a canine with low barking tendencies.
It is essential to know that while most breeds of dogs bark, some do so more frequently and intensely than others.
In this article, you will learn which breeds of dogs are the ones that bark the least.
What Characterizes a Dog Breed That Does Not Bark Much?
Generally, dogs that bark little are characterized by trust and security in their loved ones. A canine living in a calm and pleasant environment will not need to bark frequently.
However, if these animals are afraid, feel threatened, suffer separation anxiety, or want to seek attention from their owners, they will incessantly bark until they achieve their goal.
The Breed of Dog That Barks the Least
Many people want to get a dog that barks little either because they have neighbors or because they hate that sound. The breed of dog that barks the least is the Basenji, and that is because it does not produce this sound.
We can say that the Basenji is the only dog breed that does not bark, which is why it is known as the “Barkless Dog.” Just because these dogs don’t bark doesn’t mean they aren’t vocal.
Dogs generally use barking to communicate with people or other animals. In this case, the Basenji uses certain sounds like howling, growling, and yodeling. Although these dogs do not bark, a yodel can be quite annoying, especially if they produce it frequently.
The Basenji is a dog that does not bark but uses other sounds to communicate. Therefore, we can say that the breed of dog that barks the least is the Pug since it does, but very infrequently.
The Pug is one of the most desired dogs by certain people but not so much by others. Regardless of that, it is one of the quietest and calmest canines.
Pugs are great pets that will not often bark, as they love to be around people. They do not like distrusting strangers and other animals, and for that reason, they do not feel the need to bark.
Why Do Quiet Dogs Start Barking a Lot?
The breeds of dogs we have mentioned and will mention later are characterized by being calm and barking little. However, they could still start barking excessively from one moment to another depending on certain factors:
Dogs are animals that love to exercise, train, and play. When these animals are not physically and mentally stimulated, boredom will invade their bodies, and they begin developing inappropriate behaviors. One of the most common is barking.
Some canines will begin to bark excessively as a way of demanding entertainment and attention, while others will do so simply to release all their energy.
Stress and anxiety are very common emotional states in dogs. Stress can be generated by various situations, such as exposure to new people and environments, separation anxiety, fear, etc.
Dogs may bark a lot as a way to release stress.
Many breeds of dogs are characterized by a desire to protect their home and loved ones. Not all canines are aggressive, nor will they attack intruders. However, they will use their barks to alert their owners to a potential threat.
Barking is also used as a response to fear. Many breeds of dogs are skittish and can feel insecure and scared in certain situations, including strange people, loud noises, etc.
Top 10 Dog Breeds That Bark Less
We have mentioned the two breeds of dogs that bark the least, but others are also characterized by emitting this type of sound infrequently.
- French Bulldog: It is one of the calmest dogs out there. These canines are happy and playful and rarely feel the need to bark at things or people. It is excellent for people who live in apartments.
- Bloodhound: The Bloodhound is one of the dogs that bark less due to its sociable, affectionate, and friendly personality. This canine is quiet and will coexist harmoniously with children and other pets.
- Golden Retriever: These intelligent dogs love to socialize with people. They are very docile, friendly, and trustworthy and bark very little at other people.
- Great Dane: Despite its large size, it is one of the gentlest large dogs you will find. These canines form strong bonds with their loved ones and are characterized by their calm personalities. They are not very vocal dogs.
- Rottweiler: Many people think that Rottweilers are great barkers because of their size and high energy level. However, these dogs from Germany are calm and good, and for that reason, they do not tend to bark much.
- Japanese Chin: This dog breed is excellent for families with children due to its cuteness and loving personality. It loves to get along with the little ones in the house, pets, and other people, so it is unlikely that it barks.
- Shar Pei: It is a dog that forms strong bonds of love with its loved ones. This wrinkled-faced canine is usually very loyal to its owners. It might only bark to alert its family members to a possible threat, but other than that, they are not very vocal.
- Greyhound: The main characteristic of a Greyhound is its high speed; also known as an excellent domestic pet. This dog does not usually bark or produce sounds.