Home > Dogs > Can Dogs Be Allergic to Peanut Butter?

Can Dogs Be Allergic to Peanut Butter?

Peanut butter is known worldwide as one of the most delicious snacks out there. Dog owners know that just as they enjoy such a delicacy, their pets also deserve to eat a little of it. Most of the time, they are offered as a gift or reward for good behavior by the dog.

However, it is important to note that many people are allergic to peanuts and other tree nuts, and dogs are no exception.

Can Dogs Be Allergic to Peanut Butter

On some occasions, unfortunately, the owner realizes that his pet is allergic after it has eaten peanut butter. It is clear that some puppies are not allergic, but there is a chance that every 3 out of 10 dogs are allergic.

We can say that allergic reactions to peanut butter in dogs are due to the fact that they do not tolerate peanuts or other nuts, so it is extremely important to eliminate this type of snack from their diet.

Symptoms in Dogs Allergic to Peanut Butter

When the dog consumes the peanut butter, the symptoms of an allergic reaction can immediately arise. Sometimes, the intensity of the allergy crises can vary since not all dogs have the same response.

Some of the symptoms can be:

  • Red and itchy skin
  • Excessive licking of the skin
  • Hair loss in certain areas of the body
  • Difficulty breathing
  • Hives
  • Swelling
  • Collapse
  • Agitation
  • Seizures
  • Diarrhea
  • Nausea

There are two types of allergies that are caused by eating peanut butter. Keep in mind that this may depend on the dog’s immune system as some have a longer allergic reaction, and others tend to have immediate ones. Those allergies are:

  • Skin allergies
  • Anaphylaxis

If you notice that your dog has any of these symptoms after eating peanut butter, it is extremely important that you take him to the vet immediately so that it can be helped quickly.

Causes of Peanut Butter Allergy in Dogs

The allergy is because the dog may have an immune system that is very sensitive to the ingredients in peanut butter. However, it is also important to note that the untreated histamine response to peanut butter could cause anaphylactic shock in the canine.

Some brands of peanut butter contain an ingredient called xylitol, which can be very toxic for dogs since they do not tolerate this implement, causing allergic reactions on many occasions.

Diagnosis for Dogs Allergic to Peanut Butter

Dog owners should be very careful when giving a puppy a snack since sometimes, believing that food can be a good reward, it ends up being a fatal option for the animal.

As we have said above, if the dog is suspected of having allergy symptoms after it has eaten peanut butter, it is vital to take it to the vet before it becomes more serious.

In some cases, we may not know if our dogs are allergic to peanut butter, so the best option would be to take them to the vet to be properly diagnosed and prevent any unwanted situations.

Treatment for Dogs Allergic to Peanut Butter

It would be best to avoid the consumption of peanut butter completely. There is no better treatment than that because, although it is obvious, it is the only way to help your dog prevent allergic reactions to this product.

In case your dog has had an allergy crisis, you can consider the following treatments:

Topical Creams

Allergic reactions can occur through irritation, infection, or inflammation of the skin. The skin will start to turn red and itchy, so be vigilant when the dog starts scratching after eating the peanut butter.

Your vet may prescribe an antihistamine or other topical healing cream to rub on the dog’s skin so it can heal faster.

Antihistamines

If the dog has difficulty breathing due to the consumption of peanut butter, the vet will prescribe antihistamines. This type of treatment is completely symptomatic and varies depending on the severity of the puppy’s respiratory capacity.

Emergency Treatment

The veterinarian must immediately administer medications such as steroids and adrenaline when the dog presents a very serious condition and goes into anaphylactic shock.

The professional will even administer oxygen due to the respiratory deficiency that the canine may present. 

Dogs that present this case will be hospitalized until they are fully recovered.

The Recovery Process for Dogs Allergic to Peanut Butter

When the dog has had a crisis of allergy to peanut butter, and we already know that it is essential to eliminate this snack from its diet, it is important to avoid giving it food that contains any type of nut.

Once the dog is safely home, be sure to follow your veterinarian’s step-by-step instructions on how to care for the puppy at home. It is better to exercise caution and be alert to possible consequences that the dog may present.